Apr 26, 2022
Tamara J. & Tashia T.
35 Best Ways to Make Money Online in 2022
There are many reasons why people want to make money online. Besides being able to work from home with a flexible schedule, you can reach a global market with a low startup cost.
Some methods of making money online don’t even require creating products or holding inventory.
In addition, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, more people are shopping online. As a result, more businesses are joining the eCommerce industry.
If you want to learn about online money-making ideas, this article is for you. We will discuss 35 ways to make money online – 10 quick methods and 25 strategies for long-term earnings.
Make Money Online: Video Guide
Check out this video tutorial on the top 10 quick ways to earn money in 2022.
Interested in more options? Then let’s keep going.
Top 10 Quick Ways to Earn Money Online
Having an Internet connection makes nearly everything accessible, regardless of location or device. So, if you’re looking for ways to make easy money online in a relatively short period of time, consider our top picks:
- Review websites. Give feedback on people’s websites to improve their usability.
- Do voice-over work. Lend your talents to commercials, trailers, and audiobooks.
- Complete online surveys. Make extra cash by sharing your opinions.
- Be a mystery shopper. Get paid to review businesses and share your experience as a customer.
- Test games and software. Provide developers with insights into their software’s user experience.
- Sell stock photos and footage. Ideal for photographers and videographers looking for a way to make passive income.
- Sell second-hand items. Declutter your home and sell anything from clothes, appliances, and vehicles.
- Sell school notes. Popular among students who want to maintain good grades while making money on the side.
- Carry out small jobs. Excellent for people with limited technical skills and who don’t have much free time.
- Monetize art and designs. Sell products bearing your designs or do art commissions.
Let’s take a closer look at these money-making ideas and discuss some tips to make your online business successful.
1. Test Websites and Give Feedback
If you have a keen eye for website design and development, consider becoming a website tester. It’s a great freelance job to make fast cash and a good starting point for newbies looking to enter the web development industry.
As a website tester, it’s necessary to have critical and logical thinking skills, excellent communication skills, and knowledge of website functionality and design. These factors can help improve job prospects and test-reporting quality.
Payments are project-based, and rates differ based on testing methods and the marketplace’s policy. For example, UserTesting offers between $4–$120/test, where the higher earnings threshold is for people doing live conversation tests with clients.
Here are a few other marketplaces where people can sign up for website testing projects:
- Ubertesters. A crowdsourced testing service focusing on mobile app and game testing.
- UserBrain. An online tool offering UX testing for websites and digital product prototypes.
- Testbirds. User experience testing for digital products, including eCommerce stores, mobile apps, and fitness trackers.
- Userlytics. In addition to testing websites and apps, it offers projects focusing on reviewing video commercials.
- TryMyUI. It provides impression testing for websites and mobile apps via recorded testing videos or survey-based feedback.
2. Do Voice-Over Work
Performing voice-over work is an excellent way to quickly make money online. Most voice-over jobs are project-based, so long-term commitment isn’t required.
Best of all, companies are always looking for new voice-over talent. Here are just a few examples of how to use your voice to make good money:
- Audiobooks. Help bring a story to life by lending your voice to children’s storybooks, novels, and everything in between.
- Advertisements and commercials. Ads with voice-overs are still a popular way for companies to market their products and services.
- Trailers. Movies, shows, and even events create trailers to build anticipation.
- Demonstration videos. Some companies create how-to videos and hire voice-over talent to help demo their products.
- Guides. Audio guides are used by museums, galleries, travel agencies, and tourist destinations to help enhance the visitor experience.
The amount you earn from doing voice-over projects depends on your experience, the project type, and the script length. For example, the average salary of a voice-over artist doing small to medium projects in the United States is around $40.11/recording hour.
On the other hand, audiobook voice talents can earn up to $125/recording hour and $500/finished hour – the latter referring to a book’s reading time.
One of the easiest ways to get started is by creating a profile on Upwork and responding directly to job ads looking for voice-over talent. Signing up on freelance websites is an excellent way to test the waters and compare voice-over jobs currently available.
Despite sounding like an easy job, good voice-over talent is flexible, dynamic, and can bring a script to life no matter the topic. With audiobooks, for example, a consistent narrative voice, excellent articulation skills, the ability to voice different characters, and good pacing abilities are crucial to master.
To prepare for voice-over work, try out some sample scripts and see which niche fits your voice and style the best. Knowing your strengths will help market your services to the right clients.
We also recommend investing in a good microphone and recording software since clarity and high-quality audio are crucial factors when recording. Also, try to minimize background noise when creating audio samples.
3. Complete Online Surveys
It might sound too good to be true, but you can earn extra cash by completing surveys online.
Today, many companies pay people to participate in their surveys, which are typically used for general market research and consumer behavior analysis. They also help companies make business decisions, like what types of products to launch or where to publish advertisements.
However, note that not everyone can do online surveys. Take a look at some of the reasons listed below:
- Limited demographic. Some surveys aren’t open for everybody and instead target specific people. This can be based on variables like gender, age, or occupation.
- Low pay. Many online survey websites use a point system. Accumulate points after completing surveys and cash out after reaching a certain earnings threshold. For example, you can earn anywhere between $0.50-$3/survey. However, you won’t see this money unless you reach the earnings threshold, which could be between $10-$25.
- Time-consuming. Due to the payout systems of most survey websites, you’ll have to dedicate a lot of time to see real returns. Some surveys can even take up to one hour to complete.
- Not for the long-term. Unlike some of the other entries in this article, you won’t be able to transition this into a full-time job for the reasons stated above.
If the drawbacks don’t phase you, here are some popular survey sites:
- Swagbucks. Earn points and redeem them for cash or gift cards by watching videos, playing games, and completing surveys.
- Survey Junkie. Help brands deliver better products and services by participating in their market surveys.
- Harris Poll Online. Enter a rewards program by answering polls run by this survey platform.
4. Become a Mystery Shopper
If you’re an avid shopper, becoming a mystery shopper is an excellent way to make some extra money.
Retailers and market research companies hire mystery shoppers to shop at specific locations and report on the overall consumer experience. It’s a way to monitor customer service, store conditions, and product quality without employees knowing they’re being examined.
Although this option isn’t fully online, there is also remote mystery shopper work. These jobs, for example, require testing service quality at call centers or evaluating an online shopping experience.
Here are a few of the most popular companies where people can sign up to become mystery shoppers:
- Market Force. Get hired by grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies, and even gas station convenience shops to try out their products and services.
- BestMark. Become a field representative or evaluator to help companies improve their business operations.
- Secret Shopper. Go out for lunch or visit a resort and get reimbursed for your assessment.
Payments for mystery shoppers vary depending on the company. For each job completed, you either get reimbursed for the items purchased, receive vouchers and gift cards, or earn between $10–$25 on average.
To avoid scams, remember that you should never pay to become a mystery shopper. Note that as an independent contractor, companies can’t force you to take on a certain number of jobs even after signing up.
5. Test Games and Apps
In 2021, the online gaming industry was worth $178.73 billion, with an increase of 14.4% from 2020.
It also holds the largest share in the global digital media market. As a result, many opportunities have appeared for users to make money online by testing games and gaming apps.
Some games or apps, like Mistplay, require players to perform specific tasks and collect rewards in gaming currencies that can be redeemed as dollars later. The Global Beta Test Network by Keywords Studios pays people to play games before release. Other platforms like Givling and Golden Hearts Games offer online games with real cash prizes.
While these games and apps provide an easy way to make money online, make sure to check reviews before installing or signing up for them. Some use these platforms as a front for scams, stealing personal information and bank details.
6. Sell Stock Photos and Footage
If you’re an avid photographer or videographer, consider selling stock photos and footage to generate a passive income. It’s a great way to practice your passion while earning extra money on the side.
Many companies and business owners use stock content in their marketing campaigns, ads, and websites. In addition to the standard stock photo format, buyers constantly look for fresh ideas and unique perspectives to make their company stand out.
You can make a photography website and sell photos there. At the same time, it’s a good idea to sign up on a few online marketplaces and list your digital downloads. That way, you’ll get a head start at cultivating your personal brand while promoting it to potential buyers.
Some of the biggest stock photography and videography websites include:
- Shutterstock. Offers multiple earning levels based on the number of downloads.
- Getty Images. Pays at a royalty rate of 15%-45% depending on the license exclusivity agreement.
- VideoHive. This platform deals in stock videos and photos as part of the larger Envato ecosystem. The earnings depend on the number of items sold and whether you sell exclusively on the platform.
- Dissolve. Specializes in selling high-quality curated stock videos and photos, with a standard royalty rate of 30% of the net selling price for non-exclusive contributors. Exclusive contributors can get higher rates upon request.
7. Sell Second-Hand Items
Selling or renting second-hand items is another excellent way to make money immediately and a great motivation to start decluttering your space.
Once you inventory the items to sell, make sure to take high-quality images before listing them on online marketplaces. If you plan to do this in the longer term, also consider building a website to host your own online store.
One of the most popular categories to sell online is clothing. The market value of the second-hand clothing industry is predicted to reach $77 billion by 2026.
There are plenty of online marketplaces catering to the second-hand clothing and accessories market. Here are a few examples:
- Tradesy. Specializes in women’s clothing, bags, shoes, and accessories.
- Etsy. An excellent marketplace to sell unique, handmade, and vintage items.
- Rebelle. Sell clothes and accessories on this second-hand luxury online retailer.
- Depop. A popular platform for both vintage and designer goods.
Other than clothes and accessories, make money online by selling used items such as furniture, gadgets, sports equipment, and art tools. The used car market also saw a rise in demand in 2020.
Some of the best online marketplaces to sell used items of all categories on include:
- eBay. A popular choice for various types of products, including collectibles and vehicles.
- Gadget Salvation. Focuses on used gadgets like laptops, phones, and tablets.
- Facebook Marketplace. An ideal option for targeting local buyers.
- Reverb. A great place to sell musical instruments and gear.
- Fat Llama. An excellent option for people wanting to list items for others to lease instead of selling them.
8. Sell School Notes
Selling copies of school notes is one of the easiest ways for students to make money fast.
When selling school notes, make sure you aren’t committing plagiarism or academic misconduct. For example, do not disclose homework assignments or tests. Similarly, never sell or distribute copyrighted material.
A safe bet is to sell notes containing general but insightful information about a subject, such as modules, flashcards, and study guides. Also, be careful not to present your notes as facts but simply as supplementary study documents.
Aside from student or alumni message boards and community forums, here are some of the best places to sell school notes and earn spare cash on:
- Nexus Notes. They offer a 50% commission per set of notes sold.
- NoteXchange. Sell notes for $5-$40 and earn a 100% commission if you become an affiliate.
- Notesgen. With over 5.5 million users, this India-based platform accepts handwritten notes and presentation slides. Note prices range between ₹100-₹1000.
- OneClass. Earn up to 20% of recurring revenue when someone subscribes to your content.
9. Carry Out Micro Jobs
A micro job is a short-term, temporary job that pays per task completed. Earnings vary, averaging from a few cents to $50/task.
Micro jobs are a good way to make money fast. They generally take minutes to a couple of hours to complete, giving people the freedom to do multiple tasks in their spare time.
This is a great option for freelancers, new graduates, and college students since these jobs also help you gain experience and build a portfolio. The most common online micro jobs include blogging, short translations, data entry, and administrative tasks.
In addition to checking out local classifieds, try finding micro jobs on these websites:
- Fiverr. One of the most popular platforms for a variety of small jobs, from logo designing to translations.
- Amazon Mechanical Turk. An excellent platform for people with video, image, and data processing skills.
- Appen. A great option for doing small jobs like transcribing or categorizing data.
10. Sell Art and Designs
Selling digital products is one of the best ways for artists to earn extra money.
Alternatively, sell artwork and designs independently via social media. For example, Facebook had over 2 billion monthly active users as of October 2021, while Instagram had over 1 billion. Such numbers make these platforms great for increasing exposure.
Selling on social media is a good way to make money fast, especially if you promote your art among specific networks.
For example, sell through a sales channel like Facebook Marketplace and promote products by joining groups and interacting with potential buyers. Alternatively, sell via Instagram by activating the Instagram Shopping feature on a profile specifically dedicated to your artwork.
Improve the chances of selling by posting your artwork often, creating engaging captions, utilizing hashtags, interacting with bigger channels, and following users with similar interests.
If you opt for a marketplace like ArtStation, earning up to 95% from sales is possible. On the other hand, selling on your own social media profiles means you can keep up to 100% of the profit.
Top 25 Long-Term Strategies to Make Money Online
Now that we’ve covered some of the best short-term ways to make extra cash, it’s time to explore some long-term strategies to earn money online.
Unlike the previous section, the money-making ideas in the following list require some initial investment in terms of time and, in some cases, money. Even so, they are worth considering if you’re looking to expand your skills and work portfolio.
1. Make Money Blogging
Blogging is an excellent way for avid writers to earn a source of income. Many people start a blog to share insights, express views, and establish brands. Some popular blog examples include Say Yes and Anywhere We Roam.
Some common ways to make money blogging are through advertising, affiliate marketing, brand sponsorships, and selling products.
To have a profitable blog, it’s essential to find a niche and build an audience by staying consistent with posting content. Implementing successful marketing and search engine optimization (SEO) strategies is also important.
2. Join an Affiliate Program
Joining an affiliate marketing program is another great way to make money online.
Earn a commission as an affiliate by promoting products, services, or businesses on multiple platforms. When a customer clicks on an affiliate link and completes a purchase, you’ll get a percentage of the profit.
Bloggers can make from hundreds up to tens of thousands of dollars through affiliate marketing, depending on the number of affiliate programs they signed up for and the blog’s readership size. With so many affiliate programs available, make sure to join the ones fitting your niche. For instance, if you have a blog dedicated to computers and technology, consider becoming a Hostinger affiliate.
Here are some of the most profitable affiliate programs to make money from:
- Amazon Associates. One of the biggest affiliate networks, it offers commission rates of up to 20%.
- Semrush. A great option for content marketers as this program offers a flat commission rate of $200 for every new Semrush subscription sale.
- CJ Affiliate. A popular choice for affiliates with established platforms who wish to work with large and reputable brands.
- eBay Partner Network. A good starting point for all affiliate niches and levels, with rates ranging from 1% to 4%.
- Tripadvisor. Perfect for affiliates within the travel industry. It offers publishers at least 50% of the commission received from its hotel booking partners.
- GetResponse. A platform offering one-time referrals and recurring commissions for affiliates in the marketing niche.
Like any other business model, affiliate marketing requires trial and error. Some of the biggest mistakes to avoid in affiliate marketing include choosing the wrong niche, producing poor quality content, and ignoring website performance.
3. Build an eCommerce Website
Selling products online is one of the best ways to make money. More and more brick-and-mortar stores are turning to eCommerce due to its advantages. Apart from having a broader market reach, eCommerce stores require lower startup costs, letting you save money on operational expenses. For example, you don’t need to rent different retail locations to scale operations.
Creating an online store today also couldn’t be easier, even for beginners, thanks to the growth of eCommerce platforms. However, picking the right one is an important decision since the platform will contribute to you and the customers’ overall experience.
Here’s our compilation of the four best eCommerce platforms for building your own online store:
- Zyro eCommerce. A beginner-friendly website builder offering free themes and numerous AI-powered tools to assist with business operations.
- WooCommerce. An open-source platform built for WordPress providing all the necessary site functions to create your dream store.
- PrestaShop. This eCommerce software offers robust product management functionality and analytics tools.
- Shopify. A popular option with a built-in abandoned cart recovery feature and SEO tools.
In addition, consider factors such as inventory, warehousing, packaging, and shipping. Make sure to take them into account when writing a business plan. Note that you may also need to obtain a business license depending on the chosen business model. These may include registration certificates, local and federal permits, and a sales tax permit.
4. Open a Dropshipping Store
Dropshipping is a B2C business model where people sell products via an online store with a third-party supplier processing and fulfilling the order.
It’s an easier alternative to running a standard eCommerce store since opening a dropshipping store doesn’t involve the hassle of dealing with inventory and shipping.
Starting a dropshipping store is similar to creating a typical online store and involves choosing a niche and a platform to sell on. The difference is that dropshippers have to find the perfect supplier since this decision can make or break the business.
To help you get started, here are some websites for connecting with reliable suppliers:
- Spocket. Choose from thousands of suppliers worldwide and enjoy easy integration with platforms like WooCommerce and Shopify.
- Modalyst. Curate your online store with products from different global suppliers and use their profit calculator to set prices.
- SaleHoo. Find suppliers in different product categories and explore their community forum for dropshipping tips and tricks.
- Printify. Get you designs printed on phone cases, t-shirts and 300+ other products that you can request and ship on demand.
5. Create an Online Course
Projected to reach $336.98 billion by 2026, the global eLearning market is an excellent industry to enter if you excel in a particular subject and enjoy curating learning material.
Digital courses come in different formats, from simple PDF downloads to YouTube videos. Some popular online course topics include computer skills, health and wellness, business and entrepreneurship, finance and investing, and personal development.
There are two primary ways to sell digital courses – joining an eLearning platform or creating an eLearning website. The former is easier to do, but the latter provides more opportunities to experiment with different course formats and monetization methods.
Create an eLearning website with a WordPress LMS plugin, for example. Then, sell online courses as digital products or create a membership system to lock them behind a paywall.
If you want to try out a few eLearning platforms before creating an eLearning site, consider the following options:
- Udemy. Covers a variety of topics and provides courses, quizzes, coding exercises, and discussion forums.
- Skillshare. Excellent for selling courses on digital art and creative skills.
- Teachable. Provides the possibility to create unlimited online courses and coaching sessions for an unlimited number of students.
- OpenSesame. Supports integration with many learning management systems (LMS) for better accessibility.
- Pathwright. Focuses on result-oriented courses with actionable steps.
6. Tutor Students Online
If selling digital courses isn’t your thing, but you’re still interested in teaching, consider becoming an online tutor.
Many students today actively look for remote lessons. Independent tutors often offer their services via video communication apps like Zoom and Skype and accept payments via PayPal.
Earn money by giving on-demand lessons and providing personalized feedback. Note that being an online tutor means you will not only have to create lesson plans and learning modules but also keep track of the student’s progress.
Make sure to evaluate your expertise when choosing a topic to teach. Popular tutoring subjects include math, languages, and computer science. Also, consider obtaining certification to enhance your credibility as a tutor and improve your rate.
Before giving live lessons, make sure to set up a strong internet connection to ensure smooth video communication.
When you’re ready, create a website or join an online tutoring platform to start promoting your services. Here are four popular platforms for online tutoring:
- Skooli. Schedule lessons in advance or accept them whenever you’re online.
- TutorMe. Connects students with tutors based on their needs and preferences.
- TutorRoom. Offers virtual classroom features, like an online whiteboard, a scheduling system, and modules.
- Preply. Teach different languages and set custom rates for your services.
7. Create a Membership Site
Creating a membership website is another great way to earn money from home if you want to run your own platform.
Membership sites make money by selling access to exclusive content through subscription plans. By having a tiered membership system, you divide each member’s privileges and determine which content they can access.
The subscription system makes for a steady stream of revenue as members have to renew their plans to maintain access privileges. If you’re building a brand, a membership site can also help foster a potential customer base for upselling.
When creating your own website, try finding some inspiration from various niche membership websites. For example, Mark Manson and Magnetic Memory Method focus on self-improvement. Meanwhile, Smart Blogger offers tips on blogging and content writing.
After finding a niche that suits your interests, start developing the membership website. The easiest way to do this is with WordPress. Many excellent membership plugins offer the tools necessary to create plans and accept transactions online.
8. Sell Advertising Space
Selling digital advertising space is one of the most common ways to monetize a website and earn passive income. The advertising revenue is measured based on clicks or user impressions – more clicks means more money.
Important factors advertisers look for include a website’s content category, audience demographics, and user devices. So, dedicating time to create quality content and improve SEO strategies is vital.
To start selling ad space, sign up with an ad network like Google AdSense and simply embed the ad code in the site. If you run a WordPress website, follow our tutorial on how to add AdSense to WordPress.
Remember not to oversaturate the site when choosing ad placements since this can negatively affect user experience. Instead, we recommend using a heatmap software tool to determine the best ad placement location for optimal conversions.
Here are some other advertising networks you can sign up on:
- Adcash. Use an anti-block feature to bypass users’ ad blockers and obtain higher earnings.
- Propeller Ads. Supports multiple ad formats, including interstitial and push notifications.
- Media.net. Get exclusive access to the Yahoo! Bing network for keyword-targeted ads.
- Carbon Ads. A great option for technology and design-based ads.
9. Create a Subscription Job Board
With more and more employers turning to online hiring, job boards have great market potential.
There are two main ways to make money online when creating a job board website. The first is to rent out space for employers to advertise their job listings. The second is to sell access to exclusive job listings to job seekers via a paid membership system.
For example, popular job board websites like Indeed, Glassdoor, and ZipRecruiter charge employers for premium job post placements. Most of these sites base their pricing plans on factors such as posting period, in-depth company information, or reviews.
The easiest way to create this type of website is with a WordPress job board plugin. For example, WP Job Manager offers tools to submit and manage job listings code-free. If you want to restrict access to job postings, consider installing a membership plugin.
10. Buy and Flip Websites
The process of buying and selling websites is relatively simple. After purchasing a site, optimize its content for search engines, generate revenue, and sell it for a profit. It’s an ideal money-making project for anyone who enjoys website design, improving SEO, and curating a great user experience.
Knowing which websites to buy and invest time in is essential since not all of them have future value. A good rule of thumb is to opt for ones already generating revenue and traffic. Similarly, websites with a popular niche and a premium domain name are easier to sell at higher prices.
Here are a few marketplaces for finding websites to purchase:
- Flippa. Offers a wide range of niche websites with a global network of buyers and sellers.
- Latona’s. Mainly promotes websites and online stores no younger than a year and with a minimum annual revenue of $20,000.
- Empire Flippers. Sells profitable websites with a wide range of monthly revenues, from hundreds to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
- SideProjectors. A platform to buy and sell digital projects like websites, eCommerce stores, apps, and domain names.
To avoid making a bad investment, there are a few factors to consider before purchasing a website.
The first criteria to determining a website’s worth to ask for proof of concept and revenue and inquire about the site’s current monetization methods. Then, check the volume and source of its traffic – this is a good indicator of a website’s potential.
It’s also a good idea to ask about existing site issues and verify why the original website owner is selling it in the first place. Also, make sure to double-check the seller’s background and avoid buying sites from anonymous brokers.
11. Start a YouTube Channel
Running a YouTube channel has become an increasingly popular way to make money online. As the largest video-sharing platform worldwide, it has a vast audience of over 2 billion active users worldwide.
There are multiple ways to earn money from a YouTube channel, but the first step involves signing up for the YouTube Partner Program and ensuring you’re eligible for monetization.
YouTube allows almost all types of content in various niches, from gaming reactions to daily vlogs.
Growing a YouTube channel is similar to a blog, meaning you should publish content consistently to generate traffic and build an audience base. Investing in a good camera and video editing software to improve video quality can also attract more viewers.
Also, don’t forget to practice YouTube SEO. It includes adding relevant keywords and tags to the video titles and optimizing video descriptions for search engines.
Aside from being a profitable venture, starting a YouTube channel can be beneficial for building a brand. Videos can generate leads, help redirect traffic to your website, and have a better return on investment than images, making them a great marketing tool.
12. Apply for Freelance Jobs
Freelancing is a great way to make money at your own pace – you have the power to choose clients as well as set your own hours and payment rate.
You can offer all kinds of freelance services. Some of the most sought-after freelance skills include web design and development, translating, accounting, and video production.
To get started, sign up on some of these freelance websites and start scouting for gigs:
- Upwork. Focuses on large projects that require freelancers with specific skills.
- Freelancer. Provides over 1,800 categories of freelance work opportunities.
- Guru. Offers projects from individuals or small to middle-sized businesses.
If you want to improve your chances of landing high-paying projects, consider creating an online portfolio to supplement your profile on job marketplaces.
Additionally, make sure the pricing structure aligns with the time and effort required to finish each project.
13. Become a Website Developer
The average salary of a freelance web developer is around $70,863/year. As the employment of digital designers and web developers is projected to grow by 13% between 2020-2030, now is a great time to jump into the information technology industry.
The first step to becoming a web developer is to choose a web development specialization. Doing so will save you time, money, and energy and help you stand out from the competition.
After choosing a specialization to pursue, learn how to code. Plenty of websites and courses can help you get started:
- BitDegree. Offers beginner and advanced courses as well as scholarship opportunities.
- Coursera. Provides certified courses and specializations.
- Codecademy. Perfect for beginners who want short and interactive courses.
- Udemy. Choose from a wide range of on-demand courses in many languages.
If you’re thinking about transitioning to becoming a full-time web developer, consider participating in a coding boot camp like Alchemy Code Lab and Rithm School to enhance career advancement opportunities.
14. Become a Graphic Designer
An average base salary of $51,603/year makes graphic design another high-paying career worth pursuing. It’s an excellent way of making money online for creative individuals.
The career path of a graphic designer is similar to a web developer. After narrowing down a specialization to pursue, the next step is to learn the required skills and software. Plenty of design courses are available on various eLearning platforms to help you get started.
For example, a web designer will need to study user experience, user interface, and the basics of HTML and CSS. Meanwhile, a logo designer should master color theory, typography, and design tools like Adobe Illustrator and CorelDRAW.
Here are some of the best places to look for online graphic design gigs:
- DesignCrowd. Offers a wide range of projects, from logo and website to billboard design.
- Minty. Ideal for skilled artists looking for design projects with automatically generated contracts.
- We Work Remotely. Find different types of remote design jobs.
- 99designs. Provides high-quality graphic design services in numerous categories, such as web and app, clothing and merchandise, and business and advertising.
15. Become a Content Writer
If you have a knack for writing, becoming a content writer is one of the best ways to earn money online. With an average pay of $55,846/year, content writing makes for a profitable side gig or even full-time remote work.
In addition to writing skills, this career path may require SEO knowledge. Knowing the basics of HTML and CSS can also help format your writing, especially when working with a content management system like WordPress.
Many content writers have websites to showcase their writing skills and work portfolios. If your blog takes off, it’s also possible to make money by monetizing it.
Additionally, try your luck on job boards like Fiverr and Freelancer, where tons of freelance content writing gigs are available. Alternatively, join a content writing agency to get a steady flow of work.
Some of the best content writing agencies to work with are:
- Verblio. Provides all kinds of content types, from blog posts to press releases.
- SEOButler. Seeks US and UK-based freelance writers.
- Express Writers. Hires writers and editors to work with a massive network of clients worldwide.
- Textbroker. Offers gigs to write unique custom content with free registration, flexible time management, and weekly payments.
16. Become a Video Game Streamer
Streaming has taken off in the past few years, generating an average of over 2.9 million viewers per week on Twitch alone. It’s an ideal way to make money if you’re good at playing video games and enjoy being in front of a camera.
Streaming platforms like Twitch, YouTube, and Facebook offer partner programs enabling streamers to accept ad revenue and tips from their audience.
Therefore, the amount of money you make depends on your following’s size. For example, the Canadian streamer Shroud has an estimated net worth of between $8-$12 million and over 9 million followers on Twitch.
Furthermore, video game streamers can earn money from brand deals, sponsorships, and merchandise sales.
17. Become an Influencer
The continuous rise of social media has made influencer marketing a popular choice to make money online.
Like affiliate marketing, companies pay influencers with large followings to market their products, and services. The main difference is influencers aim to impact people’s buying decisions instead of simply bringing leads.
Like streamers, how much money influencers make significantly depends on their following.
The most critical aspect of being a profitable influencer is cultivating a personal brand and becoming a voice of authority within your niche. This will help attract sponsors and advertisers.
While many influencers originate from Instagram, you can take advantage of other platforms like YouTube and Twitter to build a following and create different types of content. Rhett and Link from Good Mythical Morning and Andrew Rea from Babish Culinary Universe are some of the popular influencers cultivating their careers on YouTube.
18. Offer Digital Marketing Services
Help business owners attract their target audiences and improve sales performance by offering marketing services, such as SEO strategies and social media management.
It’s a great way to make money if you’re already familiar with these concepts or want to develop your skills further.
SEO services can help sites rank higher on search engine results pages (SERPs), receive more traffic, and generate leads. Some skills you should have to offer these services include copywriting, link building, and keyword research.
On the other hand, providing social media management services means planning and executing marketing plans on various social platforms. This is to encourage better audience interaction and higher brand recognition.
An excellent social media manager should keep up with trends, identify a brand’s target audience, and track social media data for better campaign results.Many resources are available to help learn SEO. Consider getting an SEO certificate from reputable platforms like Semrush Academy or take a Google Analytics course to deepen your knowledge.
Similarly, try taking some social media marketing courses and learn about the relevant tools, concepts, and strategies. Find excellent resources on Coursera or enroll in premium marketing courses on Udemy.
When you’re ready to monetize your skills, offer your services on job marketplaces like Fiverr and Freelancer. Consider applying to a marketing agency as a digital marketer for a long-term career in this field.
19. Create an App
The world has gone mobile, and creating an app is one of the ways to profit from this rapid digitalization. Make money online by creating paid apps or selling them to other companies. Alternatively, launch a free app and make money via in-app advertisements.
Creating an app as a side-hustle is also an excellent way to hone your skills if you already have some coding and web development knowledge.
However, if you have little to no coding experience, there are many beginner-friendly app builders to help you create mobile apps:
- Appy Pie. This app builder employs a simple three-step process to help you create an app with a great user experience. Pricing ranges from $16–$60/app/month.
- AppInstitute. Presenting itself as an app builder for busy small business owners, this platform makes it easy to create mobile apps without coding knowledge. Pricing ranges between $59-$340/month.
- Mobincube. An intuitive app builder for launching an app in four easy steps. It offers a free plan, but paid ones are also available. Premium pricing ranges from €35.88-€1,199.88/year.
Here are some steps to create an app:
- Get inspired. Consider creating surveys, conducting interviews, or running a focus group discussion to find out what is missing on the market.
- Conduct competitor research. Search existing competitor apps and read their reviews. Take note of what users like and dislike about them.
- Start building. Start coding or use an app builder.
- Launch. Submit your app to the App Store or Google Play Store and wait for the approval.
- Market and monetize. Follow some tried and tested marketing strategies and start making money online.
20. Create a Podcast
Having a laptop or a device with a built-in microphone is enough to start a podcast. However, we recommend investing in good audio equipment and software to improve recording quality.
All you need now is a topic to talk about and engaging communication skills – make a podcast about anything, from financial tips to true crime.After recording and editing the first few podcast episodes, find a podcast hosting platform to make them available online. Some of the best ones include Buzzsprout, Resonate, Anchor, and Spotify.
One quality most podcasts have in common is they primarily make money from sponsorships. Once your podcast has attracted a following, consider signing up with production agencies like Podfly and Pacific Content to further grow your brand, quality, and audience reach.
Make sure to also promote the podcast on social media and other platforms, like your website. Using a podcast theme and an audio player on your site can further boost the podcast’s brand identity and discoverability.
21. Become a Travel Consultant
As soon as pandemic border restrictions ease, people will want to start traveling again. The tourism industry will inevitably surge, resulting in higher demand for travel consultants.
A travel consultant makes arrangements for individuals and businesses by curating their clients’ ideal travel experience. It’s a job that can be done entirely online and is a great money-making option for well-traveled individuals or locals who love sharing the best spots in town.
The average base salary for a travel consultant is $76,504/year in the US, excluding tips. The job’s benefits include a flexible working schedule and opportunities to travel.
Start your career by getting familiar with popular travel management software. In addition, consider taking tourism, hospitality, or even foreign language courses to improve opportunities.
Promote your services with your own website and take inspiration from consultants like Wanderlust Travel Consultants and TravelBoecker Adventures. Alternatively, sign up to be a travel consultant or trip designer on platforms such as Reco.
22. Publish eBooks
The rise of self-publishing has made it possible for anyone to publish eBooks. It’s an excellent option for beginners since there are no printing or shipping costs associated with producing and distributing eBooks.
To publish an eBook, submit your writing to a self-publishing platform. There are two types of publishing companies – retailers and aggregators. The former sell books directly to customers, whereas the latter distribute them to retailers at additional costs.
The revenue you generate from eBooks depends on the publishing company’s royalty policy. For example, Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing pays up to 70%in royalties for books sold on Kindle stores worldwide.
Here are other eBook publication alternatives along with their royalty rates:
- Barnes and Noble Press. Provides a 70% royalty rate for eBook sales.
- Kobo Writing Life. Gives authors 70% of the book’s list price, provided the book is priced at $2.99 or higher.
- Apple Books for Authors. Offers writers 70% royalties for eBook sales.
- Smashwords. The world’s largest indie eBook distributor, it charges a 10% commission when selling to other retailers, and 15%-18.5% when selling on their website.
- Draft2Digital. Lets authors earn 60% royalties from their eBook sales.
Before self-publishing an eBook, ensure that the formatting is correct and that your work is free from typos, grammatical errors, and plagiarism. You might also consider hiring a graphic designer to help create an appealing eBook cover.
23. Start Email Marketing Campaigns
As the number of email users is projected to surpass 4.5 billion in 2025, email marketing has become a powerful tool to generate leads and turn your audience into customers.
The key to executing a successful email marketing campaign is to first build an email list. If you have a website, add a pop-up form with a personalized call to action on its landing page.
Other methods to encourage subscriptions include incentives like discounts, free shipping, giveaways, and pop-up surveys. The goal is to make visitors want to receive email updates about your online business.
The next step is to start formulating and sending email newsletters. Platforms like Mailchimp and Constant Contact help manage campaigns while offering tools to track sales, engagement, and audience growth.
If your website runs on WordPress, try installing a newsletter plugin for better email automation and a more straightforward email-building process. Also, consider conducting periodical A/B testing to determine the best elements of an engaging email campaign.
24. Become a Virtual Assistant
If you enjoy organizing, planning, or doing administrative tasks, becoming a virtual assistant is a great way to make money online. As an independent contractor, a virtual assistant provides support services for individual clients or businesses.
Besides having the freedom to work remotely, becoming a virtual assistant requires minimal startup costs. Plus, you can earn an average annual pay of around $67,115/year.
Some skills to master as a virtual assistant include communication, time management, and writing.
The easiest way to market your services is through online platforms like Fiverr and Freelancer. Alternatively, sign up with a virtual assistant company and work with verified clients.
25. Invest in Stocks
Becoming a stock investor is a great way to make passive income. Start by purchasing a share in a company and selling it once its value increases.
It can be tricky to start, but there are plenty of blogs, podcasts, and YouTube channels with advice. They often provide insights, tips, and tricks on the best stock trading strategies.
The easiest way to buy stocks is through an online stockbroker facilitating transactions. Here are some top picks:
- E*TRADE. Ideal for long-term investors looking for zero minimum deposit.
- TD Ameritrade. A commission-free trading platform with excellent customer support.
- Fidelity Investments. Provides fractional shares, which enables investors with limited capital to partake in the stock market.
- Charles Schwab. Offers a wide range of investment products, including international stocks and exchange-traded funds.
How to Choose the Best Way to Make Money Online
After learning about the 35 ways on how to make money online, it’s time to narrow down your options.
Realistically, most people won’t opt for more than three choices. To help you make a decision, evaluate the following factors:
- Effort. Consider the time you’ll have to spend setting up and exploring the new venture and whether you have the required skills or experience.
- Cost. Consider whether you have the budget to start the business.
- Interest. Don’t choose an idea just because it seems like easy money – it’s important to opt for a venture you are genuinely interested in.
- Potential. Consider the monetary potential of the chosen idea and whether it can be truly profitable in the long run.
In this article, we covered several ways of making money online. As there are plenty of business ideas to choose from, be sure to pick the one best suited for your financial situation, skills, and passion.
If you want to sell products online, consider starting an online store. Auction second-hand clothes, self-made designs, and stock photos if your capital is limited. Alternatively, adopt the dropshipping business model and source products from a third-party supplier.
Professionals who want to monetize their skills may offer tutoring services and online courses. Web development, graphic design, content writing, and SEO are a few competencies with high employment and salary rates.
Since not everyone can commit to a full-time job, freelance gigs may suit your preferences better. Start a podcast or become a streamer if you love engaging with an audience, or try doing voice-over work.
Alternatively, experiment with blogging and monetize the website with ads to generate passive revenue.
Now that you’ve learned how to make money online, get ready to work hard and reach your goals. Good luck.
Make Money Online FAQ
How to Make Money in GTA 5 Online?
To make money through GTA 5 online, you can create your own channel and start streaming your gameplay on Twitch, YouTube Gaming, Facebook Gaming, or Streamlabs. On average, successful streamers make $3,000-$5,000/month, receiving higher pay as their subscribers increase.
How Can I Make $1000 Online?
The most realistic ways to make $1000 online include starting a website or a blog, developing an online business, becoming a freelancer, or investing in stocks as they generate more stable income in the long run.
How to Make Money on the Side as a Teenager?
As a teenager, you can make money by babysitting, tutoring kids, selling crafts online, or taking up minor jobs. Just make sure to read and understand child labor laws before you sign up for a job.
How Do You Make Money on TikTok?
You can start making money on TikTok as long as you’re at least 18 years old and have 10,000 followers and more than 100,000 video views in the last 30 days. A Tiktok creator can earn $22-$32/post and make much more through product placement, sponsors, or donations.