Nov 13, 2023
Andzelika V. & Tamara J.
How to Sell Jewelry Online and Build a Successful Business
Launching an online store to sell jewelry is a great way to make money online. With the variety of niches within the jewelry industry, business owners can start small and grow their companies over time.
Depending on your interests, you can begin by selling affordable fashion jewelry. Nowadays, it only takes a few minutes to build an online store of your own. As you gain experience and attract more customers, consider branching out to sell different types of products like vintage, fair trade, or fine jewelry.
Regardless of the approach, we’ve got you covered. From selecting a niche and sourcing the jewelry to setting up payments and shipping, this article will cover all the bases for selling jewelry online.
We’ll also share some great examples of successful jewelry businesses for inspiration and provide tips on what to avoid when launching an online jewelry business.
How to Sell Jewelry Online in 8 Steps
In the following sections, let’s review the steps on how jewelry business owners can start selling online.
1. Select a Jewelry Niche
The first step in starting an online jewelry business is selecting the right niche. This will help set the foundation for your company’s branding, the online store’s web design, and your eCommerce marketing approaches.
Conducting thorough research is the key to selecting a profitable niche in the vast online jewelry market.
Start by exploring existing successful jewelry brands you want to emulate. Consider what types of accessories they sell and which niche they fall under.
Then, head to analytics tools like Semrush and Ahrefs to gather information about their performance and target market.
Beyond competitor research, we recommend exploring platforms and tools like Google Trends, Google Keyword Planner, and jewelry blogs like Gem Gossip. This will help you discover what’s trending on different online marketplaces.
There are a few jewelry niches to choose from, all of which vary in style, sourcing strategies, and target market. Here are a few popular choices to consider:
- Handmade jewelry. The main selling point of handcrafted jewelry is that each piece is unique. It’s excellent for those who enjoy the craftsmanship of creating custom jewelry. Although this niche can be hard to scale, there is a sizable market for one-of-a-kind pieces.
- Costume jewelry. Also known as fashion jewelry, these accessories are primarily made for trends and aesthetics. Instead of using precious materials, costume jewelry is often made from non-precious metals like copper or brass and beads or stones that are made of plastic.
- Fine jewelry. The main selling point of fine jewelry is that it is made with high-quality craftsmanship and precious materials like diamonds and rare gemstones. Since these pieces are made to last a lifetime, like wedding rings, they come with a high price tag.
- Plated jewelry. This type of jewelry primarily uses non-precious materials, so it is a more affordable alternative for those wanting the look of precious metals. An example of this is brass coated in 10K gold.
- Vintage jewelry. Due to the durability of vintage pieces, many shoppers look for jewelry from a historical era. Prices can vary depending on the geographical origins, but it’s an excellent niche if you enjoy sourcing antique jewelry.
- Body jewelry. This niche focuses on unconventional jewelry pieces like anklets, belly chains, and nose rings. Its target market is mostly young adults and members of the body piercing community.
- Fair trade jewelry. Due to ethical considerations, many shoppers nowadays prefer to purchase jewelry from sellers with transparent production processes. This means paying fair wages, using recycled materials, and not sourcing gemstones from disreputable mining companies.
2. Define Branding and Product Attributes
The next step in starting an online business is to define your jewelry company’s branding and product attributes.
To build a brand that stands out from competitors, jewelry business owners must determine their brand positioning by outlining their unique selling proposition (USP). The USP should also define the value your products bring to customers.
Create a USP for your jewelry business by answering these questions:
- Who is my ideal customer?
- What customer problems can my product help solve?
- What will motivate customers to purchase my product?
- How is my brand different from the competition?
You should be able to summarize the USP in one sentence. It will then become the foundation of your brand’s image and marketing campaigns. For example, use it to fine-tune the logo and website design.
You can even use the USP to further narrow down your niche. For instance, instead of just selling fashion jewelry, you sell gold-plated vintage bangle bracelets.
Establishing yourself as a specialist for a particular jewelry model can strengthen your branding further – just make sure that the product is still profitable.
3. Design and Source Your Jewelry
For small business owners who are planning to craft products themselves, some great platforms to source materials include Etsy, Amazon, eBay, and boutique or local suppliers.
Etsy, for example, has many vendors selling jewelry supplies like chains, pendants, and crystals.
Crafting your own jewelry is a viable choice if your niche is handmade or fine jewelry. However, you’ll need to brush up on skills like gemstone setting, casting, and soldering. Although this approach can be rewarding, it is challenging to scale in the long run.
The other option is to outsource production. There are three main options:
- Dropshipping. The supplier will manufacture the jewelry, manage inventory, and fulfill orders on your behalf. All you need to do is market the products under your own brand name.
- Wholesale. Make bulk orders from a jewelry manufacturer at a cheaper rate than the recommended retail price and resell them on your online store.
- Private label. Collaborate with a manufacturer to produce custom-made jewelry specifically for your brand.
Regardless of the inventory and fulfillment model, you’ll need to find jewelry suppliers that sufficiently meet your production needs. While researching, consider the following factors:
- Credibility. Review testimonials and ensure the manufacturer does not produce low-quality products. One way to do this is to check whether it has ISO certification to guarantee the quality of materials used.
- Logistics. Make sure the jewelry supplier offers shipping to your target region. If you want to start dropshipping, don’t forget to also review the white label policies.
- Custom services. It’s better for branding to find a supplier that offers customizable jewelry services. This way, you can better differentiate your new jewelry shop from competitors.
The benefits of outsourcing production are that you’ll have more time to market and optimize your website for conversions. When outsourcing, there are two main options – local vs overseas suppliers.
Local manufacturing gives you a chance to visit the factory and survey the quality of the end product. It can also mean faster and possibly cheaper shipping and more opportunities to position your brand as locally-owned and made.
The downside of outsourcing locally is that it may come at a higher price tag due to increased production costs. Plus, there are fewer choices for suppliers and possible supply chain halts during certain holiday seasons.
The alternative is opting for overseas manufacturing. Some benefits of this include lower prices, extensive supplier options, and better scalability.
However, you’ll have less control over manufacturing processes and there may be time zone and communication barriers.
Popular marketplaces to find suppliers and manufacturers include Alibaba, Abound, SaleHoo, and Faire.
4. Make an Online Store to Sell Jewelry
After sorting out your niche, brand attributes, and jewelry supplier, it’s time to build an online jewelry store.
For this, you’ll need to choose a website-building platform as well as purchase web hosting and a domain name.
Select a Website Building Platform
There are many ways for jewelry business owners to sell jewelry online, such as via a content management system (CMS) like WordPress or an online marketplace like Amazon.
However, WordPress can take time to set up since you’ll need to install plugins to unlock eCommerce functionality.
Meanwhile, although online marketplaces offer ease of use, your online store won’t look professional. It’s also harder to stand out from the competition since your items will be listed alongside other merchants’ products.
As such, the best and easiest way to market your online jewelry business is by creating your own store using a website builder. For that, we recommend the AI-powered Hostinger Website Builder.
Unlike WordPress, where users will have to purchase web hosting and a domain name separately, Hostinger Website Builder provides all the essentials within a single platform. So, this all-in-one solution is perfect for beginners, entrepreneurs, and busy business owners.
Some standout features of Hostinger’s online website creator are:
- Hosting and domain included. From just $2.99/month, you can get unmetered traffic, claim a free domain valued at $9.99, and create up to 100 websites. Plus, site owners get a free business email account.
- Built-in eCommerce functionality. List up to 500 products and manage them with ease using the platform’s order tracking and inventory management dashboard.
- Extensive payment gateways. Unlock 20+ payment gateways, like Stripe and PayPal, and start selling online immediately – with zero commission fees.
- Fully customizable. Choose from a curated collection of mobile-friendly website templates and design the site to your brand’s specifications. It’s also possible to set discounts and customize the store’s checkout page.
- AI-powered solutions. Access our suite of AI tools like the AI Logo Generator, AI Heatmap, and AI Writer to speed up the website-making process. You can also describe your jewelry brand in a few words and let the AI tools for the website generate a completely custom site from scratch.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) ready. Take advantage of the sitemap generator as well as built-in alt text and meta editor to get your website content ready for search engines.
- Marketing integrations. Track your eCommerce platform’s performance with third-party tools like Google Analytics, Hotjar, Facebook Pixel, and Google AdSense.
- 24/7 support. All Hostinger customers get access to round-the-clock expert support. You can contact our Customer Success team through email or live chat via hPanel.
Hostinger Website Builder is available with any of Hostinger’s web hosting plans, so you can ensure the scalability of your jewelry shop.
For example, start with the Premium Web Hosting plan at $2.99/month and upgrade as necessary to a cloud hosting or VPS hosting environment.
We also provide advanced security features to ensure safe and encrypted transactions. These features include Cloudflare-protected nameservers, automatic backups, a built-in malware scanner, and SSL certificates.
You can check out the platform’s intuitive drag-and-drop editing interface by accessing the Hostinger Website Builder demo page.
For more information on how to start your own eCommerce store, head over to our other tutorials:
Website Launch Checklist
How to Make a Website From Scratch: A Beginner’s Guide
Web Design Best Practices to Attract More Website Visitors
What Is eCommerce? A Complete Guide With Examples
How to Make an eCommerce Website
Get a Suitable Domain Name for Your Jewelry Brand
Your site’s domain name will become the web address of your online jewelry shop. It’s also a crucial branding element that can impact potential customers’ opinions of the site.
The perfect domain name is short and easy to remember. It may also include a relevant keyword, such as fine jewelry or gold jewelry, to help drive traffic.
Here are the steps on how to buy a domain name:
- Find a credible registrar. The company should be accredited by ICANN. If you are using Hostinger Website Builder, simply claim your free domain name.
- Search the domain database. Run a domain name search to check its availability. Make sure no other websites or businesses have claimed the name to avoid any trademark or copyright issues.
Register your domain name. Enter your contact details, verify domain ownership, and ensure to point the domain to your host’s server.
Check out our comprehensive tutorials to help you select the perfect domain name:
5. Add Jewelry Products to Your Online Shop
It’s now time to list your jewelry products to start selling online. While creating a product catalog on your eCommerce platform may seem straightforward, there are some crucial aspects to consider.
First, you must categorize the products accordingly. Grouping each piece of jewelry based on its style or material will make the product pages more comfortable to navigate.
Then, you’ll need to write engaging product descriptions and upload high-resolution product images. This will highlight the jewelry’s details and unique features, which can help drive conversions.
We also recommend adding try-on options. If possible, consider utilizing AI technology to let customers virtually try on your jewelry. By enabling visitors to test the products themselves, they are less likely to have doubts about making a purchase.
To add jewelry products to your Hostinger Website Builder eCommerce store, enter the online store management area from the editing interface. You can find the Online store button on the top-left corner of the page.
From there, head over to the left navigation bar and click on Products. You’ll then find some placeholder items listed based on the chosen template.
To edit or delete the listing, click on the three-dotted icon on the right-hand side. To add more jewelry items, click on the black Add Product button at the top of the page.
Under Choose product type, select Physical. Then, enter the jewelry item’s product title, description, and price. You can also add product variants, like colors or sizes, under Options. Don’t forget to upload a product image, then hit Save.
6. Set Up Payments and Shipping
Next, consider your online store’s eCommerce payment options for jewelry sales.
When it comes to making payments, people prefer having multiple choices. Without their preferred transaction method, customers may abandon their shopping cart, harming your store’s conversions.
Some platforms, like Hostinger Website Builder, already have integrated payment gateways – the availability of which depend on your location and currency.
For example, if you want to enable Stripe, you can check the supported currencies based on the transaction method.
Note that different payment gateways will also have varying transaction fees, which depend on the payment type, currency, and region. Stripe charges 2.9% + $0.30 per online sale for bank cards and digital wallets like Apple Pay and Google Pay.
Once that’s sorted, you’ll need to configure shipping methods. Here are the most commonly used shipping types:
- Free shipping. A common strategy to entice customers and generate more jewelry sales.
- Flat rate shipping. An easy way to standardize the delivery price.
- Calculated shipping. The most accurate way of measuring real-time shipping rates to ensure you aren’t overcharging your customers or losing any money.
To set up shipping on Hostinger Website Builder, head to the online store management area and click on Store settings → Shipping. Here, you can add different shipping zones and edit the pricing conditions – for example, by order price or weight.
Once that’s sorted, it’s time to publish the site. Head back to the Hostinger Website Builder editing interface and click the Go live button on the top-right corner of the screen.
7. Obtain the Licenses and Get Incorporated
There are two primary types of business structures suitable for selling jewelry online – limited liability company (LLC) and corporation.
Both LLC and corporation business types help protect your personal assets. This means that if your company were to acquire financial obligations, your private accounts would not be impacted.
Aside from liability protection, LLCs and corporations differ in how they are taxed. Depending on the business structure, your company’s profits, losses, and operating costs can be reported on your tax returns or imposed on shareholders.
Important! Hostinger does not offer legal business advice. Readers should conduct their own research and consult the proper legal entities on how to sell jewelry online legally.
Aside from registering your company as a business entity, there are other obligations you should follow to begin selling jewelry online.
Here’s a list of business licenses you might need:
- Business operation license. This allows you to conduct business legally. Regional regulations may vary, so check your country or state laws for operating an eCommerce business.
- Seller’s permit. Acquire this license through your local licensing office or the Department of Revenue to sell jewelry online.
- Home occupation permit. Register for this license if you plan to conduct your business from home. It ensures that your base of operations is suitable for business activities.
8. Launch and Promote Your Jewelry Store
Preparing solid marketing strategies for online jewelry sales will set you off to a good start when launching your online storefront. It can help you stick to your business budget and determine the right steps to increase sales.
To ensure the brand’s success, determine your business objectives. Outline actionable goals and ensure they follow the SMART framework – specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound.
Then, set a realistic budget. Don’t exaggerate your marketing funds if you are new to selling jewelry online. To start with, stick to free or affordable options like SEO and social media marketing.
As your online business grows, expand to paid marketing channels like influencer marketing and ads. You can also consider creating an affiliate marketing program to encourage loyal customers to promote your products on their personal blog or social media platform.
Additionally, adjust your marketing strategies depending on the target market for jewelry sales. Email marketing campaigns can be effective for returning customers. Meanwhile, promotional offers and coupons are excellent for attracting newcomers.
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Selling Jewelry Online
If you want to sell online and optimize jewelry sales, make sure to avoid these common mistakes.
Having Poor Quality Product Photos
One of the most important elements of setting up an online store for jewelry sales is ensuring your product images accurately represent the jewelry. That’s why having high-resolution product pictures is essential.
To take good product photos, invest in a high-quality camera and good editing software. Since you’ll be photographing jewelry, use a macro lens to properly capture the details. Other tips we suggest are setting up a clean background and using natural light.
Not Setting Competitive Prices
The other important step is to price your jewelry competitively. Pricing products too high can be detrimental to your online business sales. On the other hand, pricing them too low can devalue the quality of your items.
Conduct thorough research to implement the best pricing strategies for online jewelry sales.
Consider taxes, shipping fees, labor costs, and the price of materials used in production. Don’t forget to also analyze the prices of similar products on various eCommerce platforms for jewelry sales.
Lacking Brand Identity
Failing to establish strong branding can negatively impact your eCommerce platform. In the saturated jewelry industry, newcomers with their own store need to determine their products’ unique value proposition.
To sell jewelry online, small business owners must do more than simply select a niche and target audience. The most successful companies also sell an idea or lifestyle that captures the brand’s essence while resonating with the target audience.
For this, start with your jewelry brand’s visual identity – consider logos and color schemes. Then, craft a strong brand personality and implement it throughout your website’s copy and visual elements.
Make sure to also expand this to other platforms like social media.
Ignoring Customer Feedback
One of the best ways to continuously improve your jewelry business is to listen to customers. Therefore, it’s crucial for small business owners not to ignore customer feedback or negative reviews.
Instead, use valuable consumer input to further improve the quality of your jewelry products. If you receive repeated negative feedback, it might indicate issues with the jewelry’s manufacturing.
If that’s the case, consider investigating further to see if it’s necessary to switch suppliers.
Having Poor Customer Service
One way to optimize jewelry sales is to ensure customers are satisfied not only with the products but also your business. In fact, excellent customer service can be the deciding factor on whether buyers will make another purchase.
Studies show that 80% of customers are willing to pay a premium for a better shopping experience. So, start by crafting a policy for returns, shipping, and exchanges. This will establish clear expectations for customers when purchasing your jewelry.
Additionally, give consumers sufficient channels to contact you. Aside from email, we recommend incorporating a live chat feature to ease the user experience.
To further optimize customer service for online jewelry sales, respond promptly and professionally to all user inquiries.
Writing Inaccurate Product Descriptions
False advertising is a foolproof way to damage your jewelry brand’s credibility and online reputation. Writing inaccurate product descriptions can lead to disappointed customers and lost sales.
To avoid that, business owners should produce accurate and compelling product descriptions. Aside from materials, focus on the benefits the product can bring customers.
This will show potential customers how your jewelry addresses their pain points.
Then, write persuasive copy to showcase the items’ value. It should be detailed, accurate, and informative. We also recommend utilizing keywords to help with SEO for online jewelry sales.
Great Examples of Successful Online Jewelry Stores
In this section, we’ll look at some great eCommerce jewelry businesses made with Hostinger to demonstrate effective ways to sell jewelry online.
1. Fair Trade Jewelry – Meillya Jewelry
Meillya Jewelry is an ethical jewelry brand that sells quirky pieces. The collections are colorful, full of character, and inspired by the beautiful nature and rich fauna on the island of Bali.
To attract its audience, Meillya Jewelry’s homepage displays ethical production logos to demonstrate that the company produces fair trade products.
For example, it shows that the brand uses recycled silver and eco-friendly packaging for production and shipping.
A notable branding feature of this Hostinger-built site is its Gemstone page. Meillya Jewelry provides users with a list of its precious stones and offers insights into the history of each gem’s popular uses in ancient times.
2. Handmade Jewelry – Monai
Monai is an excellent example of an independent, handmade jewelry brand. Influenced by ancient lore, its products are inspired by old mythology, symbols, and legends from different cultures and regions.
Built with Hostinger, this handcrafted jewelry site immediately introduces visitors to its brand image and story, representing its niche and attracting the target audience using effective copy.
When users navigate to the product pages, they can see Monai’s one-of-a-kind designs. The company differentiates itself from competitors by tapping into a unique corner of the jewelry market by selling hand-painted ceramic pieces.
3. Vintage Jewelry – Petit Clay’s
Petit Clay’s is a jewelry brand selling vintage-inspired pieces. The company effectively conveys its niche and branding using a clean website interface with soft hues.
To further emphasize the vintage feel, Petit Clay’s homepage uses a script font for the headline and a ripped-effect border for the featured image.
Another great example of a website built with Hostinger, the brand sells polymer clay jewelry pieces that are intricately made by hand. To make the jewelry business stand out from competitors, Petit Clay’s owner uses high-quality product pictures to make the details pop.
Check out the jewelry brands below to see more examples of the types of websites you can create with Hostinger:
Selling jewelry can be a profitable way to make money online. In this article, we discussed how, beyond social media platforms and marketplaces, launching your own online jewelry store is an excellent way to establish a strong brand and attract target customers.
To help you get started, here is a quick summary of the eight steps to sell jewelry online:
- Find a profitable jewelry niche you are interested in.
- Define your brand and product attributes to stand out from competitors.
- Design and source the jewelry from dropshipping companies, wholesale jewelry suppliers, or private label manufacturers.
- Create your eCommerce shop using Hostinger Website Builder.
- Add the jewelry products to your online shop.
- Set up payment gateways and shipping methods.
- Obtain the proper licenses and get incorporated.
- Promote your jewelry business on social media platforms and other marketing channels.
By following the steps outlined in this article, you’ll be on your way to having a successful online jewelry store.
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to comment down below.
How to Sell Jewelry Online FAQ
In the following sections, we’ll answer some frequently asked questions about how to sell jewelry online.
Where Can I Sell Jewelry Online?
The best place to sell jewelry online is your own eCommerce website. For that, we recommend Hostinger Website Builder. With it, you’ll have unlimited access to advanced AI tools, extensive payment gateways, and integrated marketing platforms. From just $2.99/month, you’ll also get web hosting, a free domain name, and a free business email account.
How Do I Set the Price of My Jewelry for Online Sales?
The best way to set jewelry prices is to conduct competitor analysis. This will help you set competitive prices that aren’t too low or too high for customers. You should also consider labor costs, taxes, the prices of raw materials used to make the jewelry, and logistics fees.
Can I Sell My Jewelry Internationally Online?
Yes. With a platform like Hostinger Website Builder, your jewelry store can accept online payments and process orders from customers worldwide. Make sure to check the platform’s available payment gateways and shipping options to your target regions.
How Much Money Can You Make by Selling Jewelry Online?
In the United States, a jewelry store owner can earn upwards of $34,000/year. However, the actual rate will depend on the business performance and the number of years, certifications, and skills you have as a small jewelry business owner.