Aug 12, 2021
How to Install Free SSL From Let’s Encrypt on Shared Hosting
If you own a website, you need an SSL certificate. Fortunately, you can get one for free. Here, we will uncover how to install Let’s Encrypt on shared hosting to improve your site’s security and credibility.
Reasons to Install SSL Certificate
Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is a web protocol for securing data transfer and communication. The protocol encrypts all information requested from the server and vice-versa, thus preventing third-parties from accessing it.
Here are the main benefits of enabling SSL protocol on your website:
- Improves website security — SSL encrypts sensitive information. It ensures secure data transfer and connection.
- Increases credibility — enabling SSL protocol shows your commitment to protecting visitor data, securing online payments, and complying with GDPR.
- Improves SEO ranking — popular search engines like Google prioritize HTTPS-enabled sites in their Search Engine Result Pages (SERP).
To enable SSL on your website, you need to obtain an SSL certificate from a certificate authority (CA) first. Most hosting providers like Hostinger offer great SSL deals that are not only affordable but also easy to install.
Not to worry — if you’re on a tight budget, there are several non-profit certificate authorities like Let’s Encrypt that distribute SSL certificates for free.
However, please note that free SSL certificates generated by Let’s Encrypt are only valid for 90 days. Therefore, you need to renew it periodically to maintain their benefits.
How to Install Zero SSL on Shared Hosting Using SSL For Free
Here are the steps to install Zero SSL on shared hosting using SSL For Free:
- On SSL For Free homepage, enter your website’s URL and click Create Free SSL Certificate.
- Double-check that the URL is correct, then create a login by entering your email and creating a password.
- Before you can install your new certificate, make sure the domain is valid, and click Next Step.
- Choose between a free 90-Day Certificate or 1-Year Certificate, and click Next Step.
- Uncheck the Auto-Generate CSR if you want to manually enter your contact information, then click Next Step.
- Finalize your order and choose a plan, then click Next Step.
- Next, select the Verification Method you would like to use.
- After verified, click Certificates on your ZeroSSL menu.
- Click Download SSL Certificate to generate three sets of keys — CRT (certificate), KEY (private key), and CABUNDLE (Certificate authority bundle).
- Moving back to your hosting account, access the SSL menu under the Advanced section, and scroll down to Custom SSL.
- Paste the keys you have obtained to the appointed boxes, then click Install.
- If the installation process is successful, the SSL details should appear in the List of Installed SSL section.
The SSL protocol has gradually become a mandatory security protocol for all websites. If you don’t have a budget to purchase an SSL certificate, not to worry. You can install Let’s Encrypt free SSL certificate and still get all the SSL’s benefits.
Do you find this article useful? Drop us a comment below!