Jun 14, 2019
Best WordPress Database Plugins
WordPress stores all information (posts, pages, settings, comments, etc.) in MySQL database. There are quite a few ways on how you can access, manage and backup that data. For example, you can run queries using phpMyAdmin tool or create a backup of your MySQL database directly from Hostinger control panel. However, there are numerous WordPress database plugins that can help you achieve the same.
Top 6 WordPress Database Plugins
These plugins serve different functionality within WordPress’ database system. One thing for sure, they help maintain your database.
Price: Free, $42
Standout function: Backup
With over 1 millions active installs, this is the most popular plugin for database backup. The team believes that a well-maintained database is the highest measure of data protection. They also ensure you that they have the best support available. The main features are:
- Backing and restoring data in the database. Scheduling and ‘one-click’ feature are also available
- Storing the backup in many cloud options: GDrive, Dropbox, Amazon S3, etc.
- Fast operations. The low use of the server won’t slow down your site.
The premium version comes with several additional features:
- Incremental backups
- Easy duplication and migration of your website(s)
- Multi-network compatibility
- Database encryption
- Advanced reporting
- Supports WP-CLI
- Free dedicated expert support.
A similar plugin called UpdraftCentral is also available as a companion. It enables you to backup, update, and manage multiple websites remotely from one central location.
Price: 5-day trial, $39 (personal), $99 (business), $299 (professional)
Standout function: Real-time backup
This plugin was created by the founder of WordPress, who also created Automatic. You can rest easy, knowing that all the best practices were in mind when making this plugin. The coolest thing is, the backup runs in real time – saving every change you make. It can also perform an automated daily backup and send the results to your computer. Other common features are:
- Restoring any backup with a single click
- Reviewing suspicious code and threats
- 30-day backup archive
- Easy site migration & 1-click automated restores
- Supported by WordPress Experts
- Preventing spam from harming your site
Please be aware that the basic version of VaultPress is not free. For the premium or professional plan, you will get some additional features like ad-free video hosting, ad revenue generation, and Google Analytics integration.
Price: Free, $69 (Standard), $199 (Business & Developer), $279 (Supreme), $349 (Agency)
Standout function: Backup
Both UpdraftPlus and VaultPress are really powerful database backup tools. However, they might be a bit costly. If you just want to do a thorough database backup for free, this is the one you should choose. The free version comes with several features, such as:
- Database and file backup
- WordPress XML Export
- Checking and repairing database
- Optimizing database: partitioning and indexing data, resizing tables
- Backups in tar, tar.gz, and zip format
- Flexible storage to FTP server, Dropbox, S3 services, GDrive, etc
- Sending logs and backups by email.
The premium plans enable you to add more WordPress sites. You will also have full support for 12 months.
Standout function: Post Revision Maintenance
When using WordPress, you might need to edit your post many times before you find the best line. In the long run, this post revision can harm your database. Fortunately, this plugin lets you delete the unnecessary revisions. You can run the plugin manually or set it to run on a schedule. If you want to keep some revisions, you just need to exclude them from the list.
Apart from that specialty, this plugin is also a powerful data optimization tool. Some of the operations are:
- Deleting items in the trash and spam
- Removing ‘expired or all transients’, ‘pingbacks’, and ‘trackbacks’
- Deleting unused tags
- Optimizing database tables
- Creating the log files of optimization operations
- Optimizing all sites in the network (if you have more than one website)
- ‘One click’ feature to simplify all operations.
You can also run a database analysis to get a glimpse of your database performance. Another good thing is, it supports 15 different languages.
Standout function: SQL Query
This is one powerful plugin for data optimization. Plus, it is totally free. The plugin automatically creates a “Database” menu on your Dashboard – making customization easy. The common features are:
- Showing your database profile in great details
- Backing up the database. Scheduling is also available
- Managing the backed up database. You can see the total number of your backup and download it
- Optimizing the database
- Repairing corrupt database
- Running SQL Query
The last feature on the list might need your knowledge of MySQL. This plugin lets you run SQL queries from your WordPress dashboard. Why is that a big deal? Well, there might be too many unnecessary tables in your database. Having access to SQL enables you to manipulate the tables easily. However, we recommend you avoid this feature if you are not familiar with SQL. It can harm your data.
Standout function: Database creation
We have been talking about optimization and backup plugins so far. This last one is different. WordPress stores data in tables. However, the tables only contain WordPress-related data such as comments, posts, and login credentials. This plugin lets you build a database. Let’s say that you need a subscription form to collect users’ personal information. This plugin accommodates that function perfectly. The key features are:
- Fully configurable database for any kind of information
- Customizable forms
- Plugin enhancements, either free or premium
- Shortcode for inserting a subscription form into pages or posts
- Email notification to the participants
- Export and import CSV files for interacting with other databases
When it comes to WordPress, databases are definitely important to keep healthy and functional. It contains your content and data – the most vital elements of your site. Take a look at our summary of the best WordPress database plugins to help you manage your WordPress database like a pro!
- Post revision and database optimization: Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions
- General backup: UpdraftPlus and BackWPup Free
- Real-time backup: VaultPress
- Database optimization with SQL feature: WP-DB Manager
- External database creation: Participant Database