March 18, 2020
How to Set up Thunderbird Email Client: A Beginner’s Guide
If you find dealing with multiple mailboxes bothersome, using an email client like Mozilla Thunderbird is the solution. In this guide, we will show you how you can easily set it up.
What Is Mozilla Thunderbird?
Mozilla Thunderbird is an open-source email application developed by the Mozilla Foundation. It was launched in 2004 and since then had become a popular email management platform alongside Outlook and Gmail.
Among its best features are an intuitive setup wizard, custom-tailored email addresses, cross-platform chats, adaptive message filters, add-ons, customizable themes, and more.
Without further ado, let’s jump to the Mozilla Thunderbird email setup process.
How to Set up Thunderbird Email in a Few Easy Steps
While the setup process is relatively easy and straightforward, there are some technical terms you might not be familiar with. Nonetheless, we’re going to show you the whole process step-by-step.
Collecting IMAP, POP3, and SMTP Details
While the latest version of Thunderbird automatically configures mail server protocols and ports on the first setup, you can tweak these account settings manually to improve email exchange security.
To find the necessary information for the manual setup, and creating a new account, follow these steps:
- On your Hostinger account, find the Email Accounts option under the Email section on your hPanel.
- Here you will see your email details containing the information you need. Hostinger mail server uses IMAP for incoming mails and SMTP for outgoing mail. You can replace IMAP with POP3 if you prefer. To learn the differences between these three mail protocols, check out this tutorial.
- Scroll down to create a new account, if you haven’t made one. Fill in the details and press Create.
Setting up Email in Mozilla Thunderbird
Once done, proceed with the following:
- Download and install Thunderbird.
- Open the client. Then, click Email under the Set up an account section.
- On the prompted window, fill in your name, enter your email address, and password, then press Continue. You can also select Get a new email address option if you don’t want to use an existing one.
- The system will connect your Hostinger email account to the Thunderbird application. Once it returns a positive response, press Done to finish or press Manual Config to change the account settings using the details collected previously.
- If you’ve selected the latter, it will bring you to this pop-up window. After manually changing the ports to improve security, choose the Re-test button, then click Done.
That’s it! You have successfully configured your Thunderbird email setup. Let’s recap the steps once more:
- Go to your hPanel and find your email information. Create a Hostinger mailbox.
- Open your Thunderbird client, fill in the details, then press Done.
- Or, manually configure the settings to improve security using the details discussed in the first step.
We hope that this guide was helpful. Keeping your inboxes neat and organized has never been easier.