May 31, 2023
Amanda B. & Yoga K.
How to Set Up Outlook: Setting Up Email on Microsoft Outlook 365, 2019, 2016, and More
If you use multiple email accounts for personal and professional purposes, consider using Microsoft Outlook. This way, you can access and manage all your email accounts with one client.
Adding generic email addresses from providers like Google, Yahoo, Proton, and Zoho is easy. However, setting up your custom email address, such as email@example.com, requires additional steps.
In this article, we will share a comprehensive guide on how to set up Outlook 365, 2019, 2016, and its mobile application and connect it to your email account.
Download Guide To Using Hostinger
Prepare the Requirements
We recommend businesses and professionals use a custom domain for their email. To set up a custom email account on Microsoft Outlook, ensure you have the following requirements:
- A domain name. Purchase a domain name via a domain registrar or a web hosting provider.
- The IMAP, POP, and SMTP configuration details. Find a reliable email provider that supports these incoming and outgoing server settings.
- An email account. Create an email account using the registered domain name.
Fortunately, Hostinger’s web hosting plans include a free domain and email hosting service.
We also offer Business Email plans, starting at $0.99/month. Our professional email plans offer email aliases, multi-account support, IMAP and POP support, and custom DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM).
If you want to add your Hostinger email address to Outlook manually, find your IMAP and SMTP configuration details on hPanel. Then, open the mail client, add a new email account, and enter the details into their respective fields. If you encounter an error, reset your password and input the parameters again.
Find the IMAP, POP, and SMTP Configuration Details
The IMAP, POP, and SMTP protocols are required to connect your email account to Outlook. The steps to find these email configuration details vary depending on your web hosting provider.
If you use Hostinger email, here is how:
- Log in to your hosting account panel and click Emails on the navigation menu.
- Click Manage next to your domain name.
- Go to the Configuration settings section and locate Manual Configuration to see Hostinger’s email protocols.
- Copy and paste the configuration details to a note-taking application, such as Notepad, for safekeeping. Alternatively, leave the page open while you configure Microsoft Outlook.
How to Set Up an Email Account on Outlook
Microsoft Office Outlook comes in different versions. Ensure you know which version you are using since the Outlook email configuration process differs slightly for each one.
Microsoft Outlook 365
You must purchase Microsoft Office 365 Business Basic, Business Standard, or Business Premium to use your custom email address.
This section will go over the Hostinger email setup in Outlook 365:
- Log in to your Microsoft account and click Apps on the left sidebar.
- Select Admin to access the admin center.
- Select the Set up email with a custom domain option and click Use a domain you already own. It will redirect you to the setup wizard page.
- On the Overview page, you will see a summary of the custom domain configuration steps. Click Continue to begin the setup.
- Enter your domain name, such as yourdomain.com, and click Continue.
You need to add several DNS records to authenticate your domain ownership:
- Log in to hPanel and navigate to Advanced → DNS Zone Editor.
- On the Manage DNS records section, set the record type to TXT. Then, enter the TXT record details: host record, TXT value, and time to live (TTL) from the Outlook setup wizard page. Here is an example:
- Click Add Record to create the TXT record.
- Once verified, enter your email address in the New email address field and click the Update and sign out button.
- Log back into your Microsoft account using the custom email address.
To complete the setup, create additional DNS records: MX, CNAME, and TXT. Use the provided DNS records’ details from the Outlook setup wizard page. Here is how:
- On hPanel, go to DNS Zone Editor and set up an MX record to connect your email account to Microsoft. Here is what it looks like:
- Click Add Record to create the MX record.
- Configure a new CNAME record to connect your mailbox. It will look like this:
- Click Add Record to create the CNAME record.
- Set up another TXT record to help prevent spam on Outlook. It will look like the following:
- Click Add Record to create the TXT record.
- Go back to the Microsoft Outlook setup wizard page and click Connect email.
Microsoft Outlook 2019
Here are the steps for adding Hostinger email to Outlook 2019:
- Open Outlook 2019. When a pop-up window appears, enter your custom email address.
- Select Advanced options and tick the Let me set up my account manually box.
- Click Connect to start the Outlook email setup process.
- On the Advanced setup window, choose either IMAP or POP. For example, we will choose the IMAP account type.
- Enter the Incoming mail and Outgoing mail fields with the Hostinger mail server details.
- Select SSL/TLS as the encryption method in the Incoming mail section. Click Next.
- Enter the password for your email and click Connect. Wait until the process finishes.
- Once connected, click Done to finalize the setup.
If an error message appears, click the Change Account Settings option to return to the previous screen and double-check the settings.
To set up an Outlook inbox for a Hostinger email address automatically, you will need an email address, the right MX records set up, and for your domain pointed to our servers.
Add the following CNAME record to the DNS zone of your domain:
- Name (Host) – autodiscover.domain.tld. Change domain.tld with your domain name.
- Target (Pointing to) – autodiscover.mail.hostinger.com.
- TTL – 900.
It may take up to 24 hours for any DNS record changes to propagate.
Next, open Outlook and add a new email account. Enter your email address and password. The mail client should take up to 10 minutes to link to your Hostinger mailbox.
Microsoft Outlook 2016
In this section, we will show you how to configure Outlook 2016 with a Hostinger email account:
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2016. On the Welcome to Outlook 2016 window, click Next to proceed with the setup.
- Select Yes and click Next.
- Choose the Manual setup or additional server types option and select Next.
- Tick the POP or IMAP option to use a custom email address and click Next.
- Enter your name and email address on the POP and IMAP Account Settings page.
- Click the Account Type dropdown menu and choose POP or IMAP under Server Information. We will select IMAP as an example.
- Fill in the Incoming and Outgoing mail server (SMTP) fields with the Hostinger mail server details.
- Under Logon Information, enter your email address and password and tick Remember password.
- Click the More Settings button.
- Click the Outgoing Server tab on the Internet E-mail Settings window.
- Tick My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.
- Go to the Advanced tab and enter Hostinger’s email server port numbers in the Incoming server (IMAP) and Outgoing server (SMTP) fields.
- Under Incoming server (IMAP), expand the Use the following type of encrypted connection dropdown menu and choose SSL.
- Click OK to confirm the changes.
- Once you are back on the Add Account page, click Next to proceed. The Test Account Settings window will appear if the email address is successfully connected to Outlook.
- Click Close, and another window will appear, informing that the setup process is complete. Click Finish to close the window.
Outlook for iOS
This section will teach you how to connect your Hostinger email account with Outlook for iOS:
- Open the Outlook for iOS application. Enter your custom email address and tap Add Account.
- On the configuration screen, type your name and account description.
- Under IMAP Incoming Mail Server, enter Hostinger’s IMAP incoming server and port on the IMAP Hostname and IMAP Port.
- Fill in the SMTP Hostname and SMTP Port with Hostinger’s SMTP port and outgoing server.
- Enter your email passwords.
- Click Sign In to complete the setup and wait until your email address is successfully connected.
Outlook for Android
In this section, you will learn how to set up Outlook for Android with a Hostinger email account:
- Open the application on your phone and click Add Account.
- Type your custom email address and tap Continue. Choose either IMAP or POP on the pop-up box. For instance, we will select IMAP.
- Tap the Use Advanced Settings button to check if the email configuration details are correct.
- Type your email passwords and tap the Check Mark icon. Wait until your email address is successfully connected.
Setting Up Outlook With IMAP vs POP
IMAP and POP are protocols used to access messages from email servers.
Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) helps you sync with a mail server in real-time. This lets you connect to the same email account and open the inbox on multiple devices.
If you use the IMAP protocol on Outlook, it will only download an email when you open it. Therefore, email messages will not take up your device’s storage space.
On the other hand, Post Office Protocol (POP) downloads and stores messages on a local machine but deletes the ones from the server’s inbox.
We recommend using POP on Outlook for those who only want to access emails on one device. This protocol also lets users open emails even when they are offline.
Managing multiple email accounts can be challenging because you must check and organize inboxes from different email providers. A reliable email client like Microsoft Outlook helps handle tasks in one place.
In this article, we have reviewed the steps to configure your custom email address with Outlook 365, Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook for Android, and Outlook for iOS. Here is a recap:
- Prepare the requirements.
- Find the IMAP, POP, and SMTP configuration details.
- Set up an email account on Outlook 365, 2019, 2016, the iOS app, or the Android app.
- Setting up Outlook with IMAP vs POP.
We hope this article has helped you understand how to connect a custom email address to Outlook. If you have a question, comment below or check the FAQs section. Good luck with your online journey!
How to Set Up Outlook FAQ
We will answer several frequently asked questions about how to set up Outlook.
Can I Set Up Hostinger Email Services in Outlook for Free?
Yes, setting up Hostinger email in Outlook is free. After creating an email account using your domain name, connect it to various Microsoft Outlook applications.
Why Is My Hostinger Email Account Not Recognized by Outlook?
Outlook may not recognize your Hostinger email account for several reasons. First, you entered incorrect information during the configuration process. Always double-check the information before completing the setup. Second, Outlook applications may require specific encryption settings. Try different encryption methods other than SSL, such as TLS or None.
Is It Possible to Configure Multiple Hostinger Email Accounts in Outlook?
Yes, you can add multiple Hostinger email accounts in Outlook. For instance, on Outlook 365, go to Users → Active Users → Add a user and follow the setup wizard’s instructions.
August 05 2020
Domain: www.hsipl.com E-Mail ID: firstname.lastname@example.org Not able to configure Outlook (Windows) & Bluemail (Android) with provided details for IMAP & SMTP Details. Regards, Kailash Kushwaha
November 06 2020
Hey Kailash. Some applications and/or devices may require specific encryption settings. This could differ even between 2 versions of Outlook itself. Play around with the SSL/TLS/NONE settings on the email clients and one of them will work as long as you are using the correct IMAP and SMTP details! :)
August 25 2020
My email doesn't work on Outlook. Not sure what I need to do to fix it, but have been working since inception to get this accurate. Have paid for transfer service but still NOT working!
November 11 2020
Hey there Justin! I see you mentioned "Have paid for transfer". Are you transferring the domain, perhaps? :) I can't check this but the emails may not work during the domain transfer if the MX records are not pointing correctly. Please double check this with our Customer Success team :)
September 29 2020
im not able to add email to outlook no matter in how i try to can you please help in this
November 18 2020
Hey Kalyan. Please message our Success team to help you out with the process.
October 31 2020
i reciver the emails if i loged in on webiste but i dont see and i cant send any email from outlook software to be know not all my email got the same problem.
February 02 2021
Hi there! If you're not able to receive emails to Outlook, it would suggest an issue with IMAP/POP connection - I'd suggest trying to connect with different encryption methods (SSL/TLS/NONE).
November 05 2020
Thanks. this was a great help
December 16 2020
Send test e-mail message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
February 09 2021
Hi there, Tanmay! It looks like the issue is coming due to connection to SMTP. Due to different versions of devices and apps, it could be that yours doesn't connect with the current settings. I'd suggest playing around with encryption types (SSL/TLS) and ports 587 and 465.
December 21 2020
Please do a section for Outlook mobile as the fields are different then what is shown and we can't get our email working.
February 09 2021
Hi there! If you tried all the options and weren't able to get your emails to work, don't hesitate to contact Customer Success team - they'll be happy to assist you :)
April 24 2021
Cannot find the send email in Outlook. I had setup hostinger email with IMAP/SMTP,, when i send an email, the recipient receives it, but i cannot find it in my sent email.????
April 26 2021
Hi Afshad, Let's check your settings to make sure you are saving your sent emails. Select File, and then Options. Under Outlook Options dialog, select Mail. Next, go to the Save messages section, enable the Save copies of messages in the Sent Items folder option and Select OK. If this doesn't fix the issue, please contact Support to help :)
September 22 2021
Was Helpful, thanks a lot.
September 25 2021
thank you so much.
September 30 2021
I could use Outlook with the email but I could not use Calendar function. Any idea how I can enable this?
October 05 2021
Hi Melvin, Google Calendar synchronisation via CalDAV is only available with email services that provide calendar (e.g. Titan). Please note that if you're using Hostinger free emails, calendar will not be available.
October 20 2021
Hi, I am configuring my Office 365 account with my domain, How many time can be necessary to refresh a new TXT and MX entries, please? I t is necessary to delete any another entries in my panel for a office 365 domain configuration? Best regards,
October 27 2021
Hi there, if you're looking to use Office 365 as your email provider, you would need to make sure you don't have any other MX on your DNS zone. Additionally, you what DNS are propagating for your domain on WhatsMyDNS. Then once they're done propagating, you can go ahead and verify them from Office 365. If the DNS doesn't seem to propagate well, I'd suggest to get in touch with your host or domain registrar :)
March 07 2022
Not working at all IMAP : imap.hostinger.com 993 SSL/TLS smtp.hostinger.com 465 SSL/TLS please help me
March 09 2022
Hi there, if you're using Hostinger emails and this tutorial wasn't helpful, please contact our Customer Success team - they'll be happy to assist you!
April 11 2023
Hi! Please help. I need to be able to: 1. Connect my Titan Calendar to outlook. (my email was free) 2. Be able to add attachments to my calendar events. Could you please tell me how to achieve this or what plan to buy? Please help! Thanks so much
April 14 2023
Hello there! I can see that it's possible to export Titan Calendar to use with Outlook. Resource for that can be found here. Keep in mind that you can only view the events of the Titan Calendar on your external calendars. As for adding attachments to calendar events, Titan doesn't support this feature yet. All of the available calendar event features can be found here.