Monday September 19, 2022
WordPress Themes Team Launched the Block Theme Creation Plugin
In June 2022 an exciting new aspect of WordPress themes was launched through a plugin that enables easier access for all. The Create Block Theme plugin lets users create a child theme or a whole new block theme entirely – fully allowing creativity and curiosity.
The plugin is very accessible, giving everyone creative control.
It’s been designed to complement the existing tools in the Site Editor to build a theme using it. The editor contains different elements of blocks, each block representing a different type of content.
Minimal to no coding skills are required, so users can customize the theme via the WordPress Site Editor and quickly export it.
Here’s the Flow
Below is a step-by-step guide on how to install and use the plugin.
- Install and activate Create Block Theme and Gutenberg plugins.
- Activate a block theme like the default Twenty Twenty-Two.
- Open the Site Editor by navigating to Appearance -> Editor and start customizing the theme and the templates.
- Open the Create Block Theme plugin panel by navigating to Appearance -> Create Block Theme. Select one of the options and click Export theme to download its .zip file.
- There are four export options (resources, the “What does it do” part. If you want to mention these, exclude no. 5 (Create blank theme) as it’s not in the plugin’s feature yet)
- If users select the create a child theme or clone the current theme options, they’ll see fields to fill in their theme information (theme name, theme description, theme URI, author, and author URI)
Eventual Integration for All
There are high hopes for the plugin. WordPress is also encouraging contributors to submit their own Block Themes. This will allow the WordPress theme repository to grow.
Have you used the Create Block Theme plugin? Let us know what you think about it in the comment section below!